Liverpool v Man United: Headline
- Mane kills off United hopes with third goal in min 68 and Salah seals it in in the 87th minute
- Diaz fires the home side after 5' as Salah makes it two after 22'
- Firminho ruled out with foot injury as Klopp opts for Salah, Mane and Diaz
- Red Devils out to avenge 0-5 Old Trafford October humbling
- No Cristiano Ronaldo for United due to loss of baby boy
- A 'Reds' win or draw would send Liverpool top of the Premier Leaguetonight
Liverpool embarrassed Manchester United for the second time this season to move top of the Premier League as Mohamed Salah struck twice in a 4-0 thrashing on Tuesday.
Jurgen Klopp’s men won 5-0 at Old Trafford in October and expectations of a similar rout were well-founded as Liverpool exposed the massive gulf between the sides with Luis Diaz and Sadio Mane also on target.
For Manchester United, tonight’s game is another step towards securing Champions League football next season. Tottenham currently hold fourth placewith United three points behind them. Should the Red Devils win at Anfield they will draw level with Spurs and keep their hopes of a top four finish alive.
But, United are without Cristiano Ronaldo for this evening’s game following the death of his new-born son. The forward announced the tragic news on social media on Monday in a joint message with his partner Georgina Rodriguez, and the club later confirmed Ronaldo’s absence, saying: “Family is more important than everything.”
Full time Liverpool 4 Man Utd 0
Dalot turns the ball behind, sending it whistling past the post. Could have gone the other side quite easily and made it 5-0. But they escape with a 4-0 drubbing. The ref blows time's up and Liverpool go top.